The FTC grant projects create connections between local farmers, their fresh produce and the children in the child care setting. FTC grants establish a direct purchasing relationship with a local produce grower to integrate more fresh fruits and vegetables into meals and snacks.
FTC funds can be used to create a farm-direct program and sustain it through a variety of resources and activities:
- information on local food sources
- staff training
- equipment to store and prepare food
- field trips to farms and urban gardens
- materials to grow a vegetable garden
- fruits and vegetables for taste tests
- improved nutrition education through books, lesson plans and activity sheets
- program promotional materials
- materials for cooking demonstrations
Through the FTC program, children are provided an environment in which choosing healthy foods is an easier, preferred choice, and the invaluable lessons they learn and experiences they have with local food can stay with them as they grow beyond the child care setting.