On  April 13, 2019, Alto, Texas in Cherokee County was struck by a tornado.  The State of Texas has declared Cherokee County a disaster county.  The Alto ISD plans to continue operation of its schools and the meal program for the remainder of the year.  The district has three schools clustered in one location.  The kitchen and cafeteria are attached to the school and suffered the most severe damage. 

As a result of the damage and ongoing conditions in the area, TDA is requesting from USDA extended meal pattern and eligibility waivers of NSLP and SBP requirements for the remainder of the 2018-2019 school year (May 23, 2019) as follows:

1.            Operate using the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) for April and through the remainder of the school year using the most recent eligibility data.

2.            Serve the most nutritious meals possible with meal pattern flexibilities

Articles by Category

Assistance available in English and Spanish. Please call 877-TEX-MEAL (877-839-6325) for help.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Texas Department of Agriculture
Commissioner Sid Miller