Below is a chart of forms and documents that must be submitted to TDA Food and Nutrition (F&N) to apply for the SFSP. TDA has an Internet-based system, Texas Unified Nutrition Programs System (TX-UNPS), which CEs use to submit applications, file claims and manage the nutrition programs they operate.
Click Here to download a Step-by-Step Guide to Submitting an SFSP Application
Application Timeframe and Deadlines
January 15, 2013: First day that SFSP application packets may be submitted to TDA using TX-UNPS.
March 15, 2013: Last day to submit SFSP applications to TDA if applicant is requesting advance payments. Applications submitted after this date will not be eligible to receive advance payments for summer 2013. Advance payments are requested, by eligible month, after your application has been approved.
April 15, 2013: Last day to submit SFSP applications to TDA for all new applicants and all renewing CEs determined by TDA to need a more thorough application review. Renewing CEs subject to this deadline will be informed via email by TDA on or about March 1, 2013, and April 1, 2013, if they have not already submitted applications at that time. If you have questions about if your organization must meet this deadline contact your TDA regional office at 1-877-TEX-MEAL (1-877-839-6325).
May 1, 2013: Last day to submit SFSP applications for all other renewing CEs.
Apply Early! There are incentives for submitting your application before the deadlines:
- Greater chance of your requested sites being approved
- Adequate time to handle any application issues prior to staring summer operations
- Your pick of USDA Foods (if requested/eligible)
CEs will receive reimbursement only for meals that are served after they have been formally approved by TDA to operate the SFSP for 2013. CEs must be certain that they have been approved before they begin their meal service.
Steps to Applying as a CE
1. New CEs complete and submit the SFSP Pre-Eligibility Form to gain access to TX-UNPS
- Go to the TX-UNPS website at https://txunps1.texasagriculture.gov
- Click on “Interested in Applying” under the Links heading.
- On the left side of the page, select “Pre-Eligibility SFSP” and read the text.
- If you believe your organization is eligible to participate in the SFSP, click on the link “SFSP Pre-Eligibility Form” at the bottom of the page.
- Complete and submit the form.
- TDA will email the requestor form FND-101, Certificate of Authority for External Users, with instructions to complete and submit.
- Every new organization is given a CE ID and each authorized individual is given a User ID and Password for accessing the system.
2. Application Packet and Checklist Items
In addition to completing the online portion of the application packet, CEs are required to submit additional information identified as “Checklist Items.” Every CE will not have to submit every Checklist Item. Please read carefully to determine which Checklist Items you are required to submit. It is the CEs responsibility to review all application materials and to submit all items required for their application. Any form or document that is not submitted online in TX-UNPS must be completed in ink, or other non-erasable print, and contain the CE Name and CE ID.
Keep a copy of all documents submitted to TDA as well as the fax or email (or other documentation) to confirm when the documents were sent to TDA.
3. Attend Required Training
The CE’s supervisory personnel responsible for the food service must attend TDA’s required SFSP training prior to starting program operations. Personnel will complete training based on your agency type and prior participation, if applicable. To learn more about training and to determine which specific TDA SFSP course is required for your organization, go to Summer Feeding Program Training.
Only an authorized representative that has been authorized on form FND-101, Certificate of Authority for External Users, can sign program-related documents for your organization.
If you need assistance, or a paper application, please contact TDA at (877) TEX-MEAL. (877-839-6325).
Additional Tips for Success
Download the Tips for Success brochure for additional pointers for running a successful program.